Sunday, September 7, 2008

Empty Nest Syndrome!

On August 25, Kirby Townsend, an old friend from Ventura and later Mexico, stopped by for a visit. He drove to California from his home in South Carolina to spend a little time with his wonderful son, Lee. Kirby accompanied Lee aboard a freighter on which Lee is 2nd mate. They left Long Beach, went to Oakland and then on to Hawaii. Kirby was able to visit with Tom and Diane Hall at their new home in Hawaii. We knew Tom in Ventura. Then, of course they made the return trip. It is so fablulous that Kirby was able to make such a wonderful trip like that with Lee. On the return drive, Kirby stopped here in San Antonio to spend a few days. We got all caught up on our lives...what a treat! He left on August 29. He picked up Suzie in Atlanta (visiting her sister) and then they went on to visit Steve and Molly Odehnal who live about 30 miles north of Atlanta. Then they returned home only to have Hurricane Hanna knocking on their door. It turned out to be a non issue, thank goodness.

On August 30. we had a houseful of evacuees and returnees for Hurricane Gustav. Our friends, Mac and Consuelo Melhuish of Beaumont, TX (soon to be New Braunfels, TX) were here just in case Gustav got testy. Also, my sister and her husband Gary returned home from New Orleans for the same reason. We had a great Labor Day weekend. Cullen (Ray's brother), DeAnne (his wife), and their lovely daughter Casey had dinner with us. We all had a great time.

Mac really captivated Cullen with his Navy stories, especially the one about driving his plane off the front of his aircraft carrier! And he lived to tell about it. It actually happened to him twice! Both were mechanical failures (not pilot). They've really improved those catapults since then! Thank goodness Gustav wasn't as bad as we expected, so Mac and Consuelo went home and Linda and Gary went back to New Orleans.

Now we have Hurricane Ike barreling through the Florida Straits as a Cat 3 as I write this and it appears he is headed straight for Louisiana!! I definitely expect all my evacuees to return shortly. They need to fill this nest back up anyway!

3 comments:

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

We found you!!! Now we want some pics :) We looked at some of Kirby's pictures and you two look exactly the same!! Now we can know what you are up to. Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

And I have found you too! Yea! Lucy is doing a Blog! I want the recipes! Kirby brought home the Blueberry Scone recipe which will make me fat but I might do it anyway.

So, are YOU going to evacuate??

Suzie and Kirby

Ray and Lucy said...

Hey Heather and Suzie,
As you know I'm new to this thing and I have just noticed that you two left comments. I'll get better, I hope. I'll try to post some pics. I might enlist help if I have problems. Later, Lucy